Marion O’Connor – Consultant Dietitian The Good Gut Clinic
Every good corporate wellbeing programme needs a great dietitian and we’re delighted to have Marion O’Connor on the Halcyon Life team of experts.
When it comes to corporate wellbeing it goes without saying that stress is a key focus. Stress is a serious issue facing most UK workers. In 2016/17, 12.5 million working days were lost due to work-related stress, depression or anxiety.
So where does nutrition fit into stress management?
Marion knows from her work with Corporate clients that stress has a huge impact on how and what people choose to eat and drink. Stress in combination with a poor or highly processed diet can also affect gut health through its effect on the gut microbiome. The gut microbiome and its role in health and disease is an exciting and emerging area of research. Within the Halcyon Life programme Marion combines both healthy eating and gut health advice.
Stress and Diet
Stress can affect gut motility leading to symptoms of bloating, diarrhoea, constipation and abdominal discomfort. Marion advises on how to manage these symptoms using dietary approaches such as the FODMAP diet which has been shown to be an effective treatment for such symptoms. During the programme, we explore the myths around nutrition and supplements and encourage participants to make simple yet key changes to their diets and lifestyle to promote good health.
A little more about Marion:
- Marion runs a very successful private practice in Oxford, Reading and Northern Ireland.
- Over the years Marion has presented on various topics at Local, National and International meetings. In 2013 Marion was invited to give the keynote opening presentation at the Medicine X conference at Stanford University USA.
- She has a keen interest in developing health related devices which will improve communication between patient and clinician and also improve quality of life for patients with chronic illnesses. She was invited to speak on her experience of this at the Doctors 2.0 in Paris Conference in 2013.
- She has worked within the NHS and private health sector for over 16 years.
- Her specialist clinical expertise is within Gastroenterology, Surgery, Intestinal Failure and Intestinal Transplant. From 2008 to 2014 Marion was a UK Lead Dietitian for Intestinal Transplant at the Oxford Transplant Centre. Prior to this, Marion has worked as a Specialist Dietitian and Team Leader at Oxford University Hospitals, NHS Trust.
- Marion advises also on the management of Pelvic Floor disorders through her work as a member of the Oxford Pelvic Floor Centre multidisciplinary team.
- She offers clinical advice on the following: IBS, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, coeliac disease, intestinal failure, diverticulitis, diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, weight loss, weight gain, diabetes, PCOS, high blood pressure, nutrition support pre and post-surgery, enteral or parenteral nutrition support.
- She has achieved the following qualifications. BSc (Hons) in Physiology, PgDip Human & Nutrition & Dietetics, MSc Human Nutrition. She has qualified as a Sports Dietitian and through this she has lectured to doctors on sports nutrition at the Annual British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine Course in the UK.
However big or small your business, your workforce could be optimised by more informed health and wellness. The Halcyon Life programme is designed to educate your workforce on all areas of health and wellness. You can find out more about our programmes here and please do get in touch for more information.